Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Texas Sheet Cake

This is my grandmothers recipe and my dad's favorite. It was made for my parents wedding and probably for one birthday a year after (this is also a family favorite). Do not be scared off by the crisco--it makes the cake so amazing and isn't any worse than loads of butter. I used household items, so I don't know how much it would cost to make this cake, but I can't imagine much more than $20.

Texas Sheet Cake

Ingredients:
1/2 cup of Crisco
1/2 cup margarine
1 Cup of water
6 Tablespoons of cocoa

1/2 cup of sour cream
1 tsp of baking soda

2 cups of flour
2 cups of sugar
1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp of vanilla
2 eggs

Recipe:
  1. Cream together second two ingredients in a small bowl and set aside to let it rise for 5-10 minutes (this makes the cake really moist!)
  2.  Melt together first four ingredients on low heat in a saucepan, let cool.
  3. Combine flour, sugar and salt in separate bowl. So at this point, you'll have three bowls (#1, #2, and #3)
  4. In mixing bowl, beat two eggs and vanilla together and add chocolate mixture (#2). Then add sour cream mixture (#1). Slowly add flour mixture (#3).
  5. Pour batter in greased cooking pan (9X13 pyrex is what I use, but you can make two circle pans to make layered cake)
  6. Bake 30-35 mins on 350F
Icing
Ingredients:
1/2 cup of margarine
1/2 cup of crisco
3/4 cup of sugar
1/2 package of Philly Cream Cheese (can be reduced if needed)

1/2 cup of milk
7 Tablespoons of flour
1 tsp of vanilla

Recipe:
  1. Cream first 4 ingredients
  2. Add last three and beat on high for 7-10 minutes until sugar is dissolved
  3. Ice the cake!

I normally ice the cake and top with strawberries and blueberries. Sometimes I layer the fruits with the layered cake ( I use bananas most of the time if I layer the cake)

No comments:

Post a Comment